You have probably heard about CCMDD − the service launched by the National Department of Health as an NHI initiative that provides access to a network of convenient, self-nominated pick-up points where stable public-sector patients can collect their chronic medication.
Over 300 000 people in Durban use the CCMDD service and are loving the convenience of collecting their repeat prescriptions from more than 200 pick-up points across the municipality − where queuing is minimal and stock shortages are rare. The service supports them to adhere to their medication and remain stable.
Being a CCMDD-registered patient is even more beneficial during the COVID-19 pandemic. By collecting your medicine parcel at external pick-up points, you can avoid the risk of exposure to the Coronavirus during journeys in public transport to and from crowded clinics, and within the facility.
Do you qualify for CCMDD?
If you can answer ‘yes’ to three of the following questions, you are eligible:
- Are you older than 18?
- Have your chronic condition test results been within the normal range for six months?
- Has your most recent HIV test shown that your viral load is suppressed?
- Do you have a valid South African ID, or Asylum Seeker Permit, or Foreign Passport?
If you meet these criteria, you can sign up for CCMDD at your next clinic appointment.
Here are the steps to take for CCMDD registration and usage:
- Ensure that you take your medication every day as prescribed, so that your test results are within the normal range if you have diabetes or high blood pressure. If you are HIV-positive, your viral load must be suppressed for one test.
- Ask your healthcare worker to register you on the CCMDD programme.
- Select the most convenient pick-up point for you. This might be close to your home or workplace.
- Receive a CCMDD Collection Card from your healthcare worker.
- Go to collect your medication from your chosen pick-up point. You will receive an SMS when your medication is ready for collection. Be sure to collect it within seven days.
The service offers you many advantages that make it easier to manage your chronic condition. So register today, and soon you’ll see the benefits to your health.